As the clock counts down to the beginning of 2014, we’d like to take a moment to remind you of a few things – it’s now been 15 years since the 90’s, Friends ended a decade ago and we’re only 6 years away from heading back into the 20’s (insert Abbott government joke here).
Of course, as much as the new year might just be a change in calendar dates, it’s also a time to look back on what you’ve accomplished over the past twelve months, and also look ahead to what the next twelve may hold. We asked the BULLSH!T team what their hopes for 2014 were.
1. “It’s a total cliche but I guess the thing I want most out of the year is to make sure I really focus on being happy. There are so many expectations of someone in their early twenties, it can be way too easy to get caught up in them. I’m resolving to focus on myself in the new year to set some goals and see them through to the end. To trust that finding comfort in who I am and where I’m going will lead me to much greener pastures.
2. “I have only two things that I want very much to happen in 2014 (every other awesome thing that occurs is, of course, very welcome) and they are: a better social life since I lacked one in 2013; and to be accepted into international exchange and then go on to have the time of my life in America. Hopefully the universe will look down kindly upon my meagre list of wants.”
3. “I want to finally come to terms with my body. I want to reach and maintain a healthy weight and a positive sense of self image. Ultimately, if I love myself more, I would like to be less apathetic to relationships and be more open minded about love.”
4. “I really want to live life properly in 2014. I’m at that age where I’m not getting any younger and I need to take action and stop making excuses for putting things off, whether it be travel, work opportunities or relationships. I want to be a go-getter in 2014 – good things don’t necessarily come to those who wait, they come to those who go out and strive to achieve them.”
5. “My main new year’s resolution is to kickstart a campaign for a Seinfeld reunion show and/or movie. If we’re going to be realistic, I guess I just to be more motivated in general life and work. I finish uni midway through next year, so it would be great to secure a good few internships or work experiences before I finish. I just want to keep writing as much as possible and build up a good portfolio. I also volunteer at a local radio and it’d be great to get more involved with that and produce shows. But really, in all seriousness, let’s get that Seinfeld reunion going.”
6. “In 2014 I want to live more for myself. I want to get myself into good positions for internships and career opportunities. I want to spend more energy on my postgraduate studies and (hopefully) get some good marks and make good impressions on people in the industry. I want to be able to look back on 2014 and say that people do in fact like you once you turn 23, and have a lot of things to think fondly of. I also want to spend more time escaping. Camping, adventuring, getting away from technology and exploring the great, wide world around me.”
From all of us here at BULLSH!T, we’d like to take a moment to wish you all the best this holiday season, and a very happy (and prosperous) 2014. We’ve had a fantastic year, and we can’t wait to share more BS with you in the new year.