Domestic violence in this country is a severe problem. There’s no way around that ugly truth. A quick skim over the statistics reveal just how dire some of the numbers themselves are:
- 1 in 5 Australian women have experienced sexual violence
- 1 in 6 Australian women have experienced physical or sexual violence from a current or farmer partner.
- 1 in 3 Australian women have experienced physical violence
You might know somebody who has been affected by domestic violence – or you might not. Either way, there’s no way around the fact that it happens. That it’s a massive problem. That something big needs to be done, and it needs to be done fast.
Last Friday, Natasha Stot Despoja launched the powerful ‘Our Watch’ Campaign. You can catch the launch video below, featuring a handful of kids who each have the potential to head down two very different paths. A number of prolific Australian figures have lent their voices to the campaign as well:
Ultimately, it’s a call to arms for us all to:
– Challenge stereotypes
– Call out sexist attitudes
– Speak out if you hear excuses for violence or victim blaming
– Spread the word that violence is never an option or a solution and there is NO excuse
– Acknowledge respect and equality when you see it
– Celebrate our role models
For more information on matters relating to the above, you can visit the campaign website.
Watch the video. Share it with everyone. This is so fucking important guys.