It’s just a few days until Halloween, a time when according to Regina George, “in girl world, Halloween is the one time of the year when a girl can dress as a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it”.
However Halloween also brings a time. A time with impending shenanigans to be had, alcohol to be consumed, and the most important part- a costume to be chosen. It seems a few costume trends have risen from the depths of hell- all of which should be avoided at all costs. So whatever you do ….Don’t go taking inspiration from the following.
1. Anything to do with the Islamic State (IS, ISIS, ISL)
2. Anything to do with a global tragedy such as Malaysian Flight M370
3. Anything Ebola related
4. Anything that makes light of mental illness.
5. Anything to do with domestic violence or pedophilia. I mean, seriously? Are you a total douchebag?
6. Any recently deceased person
7. Anything racist or culturally insensitive. A.K.A don’t do blackface
8. A sexy version of any of the above
Basically, if you have to question whether or not your costume is appropriate. You shouldn’t wear it. Yes, Halloween is your chance to release your inner sexy goddess/god, to prove just how much you know about the global world and topical issues and show off your sense of humour, but it is no excuse to act/dress like a total asshole. And if you’re still at a loss for costume ideas, check out our 5 must-have Australian politics inspired costumes.